RANDOLPH COUNTY PLANNING BOARD
August 21, 2001
There was a special meeting held at 6:00 p.m., on Tuesday, August 21, 2001, of the Randolph County Planning Board in the First Floor Conference Room, Randolph County Office Building, 725 McDowell Road, Asheboro, North Carolina. The following Board members were present: Maxton McDowell, Lynden Craven, Al Morton, Phil Ridge, Larry Brown, Chris McLeod, and Mark Brower. At the request of Board members, Hal Johnson, County Planning Director, asked Paul Kron, Regional Planning Director of the Piedmont Triad Council of Government, to hold a refresher training session and the following issues were discussed:
1. Role of the Planning Board
2. Comprehensive Planning
3. Zoning and Property Rights
4. Types of Planning Decisions
5. Legislative Decision Making - Rezoning
6. Quasi-Judicial Decision Making
7. Factors to Consider in Evaluating a Rezoning Request
8. Spot Zoning (Chrismon vs. Guilford County, 1988)
9. Coordination with Municipalities (Extraterritorial Zoning Jurisdictions)
10. Orderly Conduct of Planning Board Meetings - Agenda, Public Comments, etc.
12. Potential areas for improvement
There was a consensus of the Board that this was a informative meeting and they would like to also have a special meeting with County Attorney Alan Pugh concerning legal issues and procedures concerning Planning Board Decisions.
The meeting adjourned at 8:00 p.m. There was 1 citizen present for this meeting.