The 1782 Colonel Andrew Balfour Cemetery consists of five graves of Balfour family members in their original layout with no additional burials since 1825. The cemetery, marking the site of the assassination of Colonel Balfour by royalist Tory forces, is historically significant in explaining the vicious guerrilla warfare that centered around Randolph County in the aftermath of the Battle of Guilford Courthouse. Balfour’s murder was planned to deprive the local Randolph County/Patriot/Whig forces of competent leadership during the Revolutionary War. The cemetery was designated a local historic landmark by the Randolph County Board of Commissioners on October 5, 2009. Map it!
History of the Andrew Balfour Cemetery. ~